Tips for eating healthy on the road
Don’t allow your upcoming travel to derail your health and fitness goals. The first step is to make sure you are PREPARED. Preparation is the key to success. Here are some tips to consider when preparing for your trip.
- Buy peanut butter and other goods that don’t have to be refrigerated. Blueberries will keep unrefrigerated for quite a while.
- Also cheese, hummus, apples, and low-calorie/low carb granola can keep without refrigeration for a short time.
- Sometimes you can ask the hotel to provide a refrigerator. Even if there’s an additional cost, having a refrigerator will help you cut down on the extra expense (and calories) of going out to eat.
- If your room has a microwave, you can steam vegetables in your room.
- Get small bags of pre-made salad and salad dressing spray.
- Nuts are a great source of protein, but DO NOT OVERDO IT!!! They are also VERY high in calories.
- You can make oatmeal in your room by using the in-room coffee pot to make hot water.
- Make sure you get adequate amounts of water each day.
In addition to healthy, clean eating, also make good use of the on-site fitness facilities. While traveling often upsets your sense of “routine,” this is not the time to skip your workouts. Make sure you commit at least 30 minutes to some kind of physical exercise each day.